Prince William reconnects with Christchurch mosque shootings victims over video call

Publish Date
Friday, 15 May 2020, 5:01PM

Prince William has dialled in Down Under to check on Christchurch's Muslim community a year after the mosque shootings which claimed 51 lives.

The Duke of Cambridge used Zoom to speak to the imams of Masjid Al Noor and Linwood Islamic Centre, along with prominent Muslim Association of Canterbury members and local MP Dr Megan Woods, last night.

Gamal Fouda, imam of Masjid Al Noor, told the Herald that he'd been expecting the call all week.

The Duke says he was reconnecting with the people he met during his visit to Christchurch in the weeks after the terror attack.

READ MORE:
• Kate Middleton releases a fifth previously unseen photo of Princess Charlotte for her birthday
• Prince George, Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis share sweet "thank you" video to medical workers

During the 40-minute conversation, the group spoke about grief and healing, as well as the continuing effects that March 15 has had on their community. They also talked to the Duke about Covid-19 and how they have adapted to continue supporting their community during New Zealand's lockdown.

William finished the call by reflecting on the 2019 attacks and saying: "I'm really proud of all of you, the whole community and the New Zealand Government for how you have all dealt with such an atrocity. You are a role model for how something so tragic can be negotiated with the utmost grace and dignity.

"I only hope that it's been a year now and acknowledgement memorial of attacks go on at some point that Covid-19 has delayed and I only hope that brings further healing for all of you.

"But I stand here ready to help in any way I can. If there is more than needs to be done don't hesitate to reach out."

 

This article was first published on nzherald.co.nz and is republished here with permission.