- Publish Date
- Friday, 11 September 2015, 2:29PM
Some common beliefs set on their ear:
- Salt makes water boil faster. Although chefs everywhere seem to swear by it, this is scientifically impossible. Salt raises the boiling point of water, which means that it actually takes longer to boil.
- You have to wait 24 hours to report a missing person. This is dangerously false. You can report a missing person at any point.
- You sense different tastes on different parts of your tongue. You actually sense all the tastes on all parts of your tongue.
- Vaccines cause autism. This is a widespread myth that originated due to fraudulent research that has been shown to have been manipulated.
- Dogs sweat by salivating. While they do regulate their temperature by panting, they sweat through their paws.
- Sugar causes hyperactivity in children. Numerous studies have now shown that it simply isn’t true.
- Frankenstein was the name of the monster in the book “Frankenstein”. Wrong. It was actually the name of the monster’s creator.
- The Moon has a dark side. It has a far side, but not a dark side. And the far side positioned away from Earth is still exposed to the Sun all the same.
- Vitamin C cures colds. It certainly helps you stay healthy but it won’t cure your cold any more than brushing your teeth will fix your cavities.
- Sushi means ‘raw fish’. It actually translates as … ‘sour tasting’.
Take your Radio, Podcasts and Music with you