- Publish Date
- Friday, 22 November 2019, 3:12PM
This Allyson Gofton recipe is simple and elegant, yet not too rich!
Makes for a delicious appetizer or main dish.
- 15 minutes
- 20 minutes
- 2 sheets pre-rolled savoury short pastry
- 300 grams thin-stemmed asparagus, trimmed (approx)
- 150 grams parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup creme fraiche or cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs such as tarragon or chervil
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC.
- Place the pastry sheet on top of each other and place on a lightly floured bench. Roll out until large enough to line the base and sides of a 23cm square or round metal baking tin. Place into the tin and trim the edges.
- Bake blind in the preheated oven for 15 minutes or until the edges of the pastry begin to brown a little. Remove the baking-blind material and paper and return to the oven for a further 3-4 minutes or until the pastry is well-cooked.
- Blanch the asparagus spears in boiling water for 2 minutes. Drain and refresh in cold water.
- Scatter the parmesan cheese over the tart. Beat the eggs, cream and herbs together and pour over the cheese. Arrange the asparagus spears on top.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes or until the filling has set. Serve warm.