- Publish Date
- Monday, 24 July 2023, 4:37PM
Cassie Birrer from Dish Magazine recently caught up with Toni to find out all her food loves in order to create a dish just for her.
While chatting about her favourite foods, Toni shared how on her trip to Hawaii last year she had a Hula Pie from Hula Grill in Waikiki and quickly became obsessed. "I loved it so much, I tried to recreate it and it just wasn’t the same as when I first had it on a work trip last year, and again on holidays recently."
Sarah Tuck, determined to replicate the recipe faithfully for Toni, has created this Hula Pie recipe which is perfect for cold dessert lovers!
"It has the Oreo cookie base with a macadamia caramel ice cream. Then the homemade hot fudge sauce on the top. It’s like an ice cream sundae on steroids."
Toni Street's Hula Pie Recipe:
2 cups unroasted macadamia nuts
2 cups cream
395 grams sweetened condensed milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon of coconut extract, optional
For the Base:
200 grams Oreo biscuits (1⅓ packets)
40 grams of melted butter
For the Sauce:
1 cup cream
250 grams of chocolate (50% cocoa), chopped
2 tablespoons dark cocoa
1 tablespoon golden syrup
2 tablespoons coconut oil
Reserved roasted macadamia nuts
- For the ice cream, preheat the oven to 140°C fan bake and line the pudding basin with plastic wrap, leaving overhang on the sides.
- Whizz 1 cup of the macadamia nuts into a crumbly paste in a food processor. Put the rest of the nuts on an oven tray and roast for 7 minutes then cool and roughly chop.
- Whip the cream to firm peaks. In a separate bowl, beat the macadamia paste into the condensed milk with the vanilla and coconut extracts.
- Beat into the cream until fully incorporated, then fold in ¾ of the remaining chopped nuts. (Store the rest of the chopped nuts in a small airtight container).
- Pour the ice cream into the prepared bowl and freeze for at least 4 hours.
- For the base, line the base of a removable- base tart tin, slightly larger than the circumference of the top of the pudding basin, with baking paper (mine was 19cm).
- Whizz the Oreo biscuits with the melted butter in a food processor until the texture of damp sand. Press into the prepared tin and freeze for ½ an hour.
- To make the fudge sauce, heat the fudge sauce ingredients together in 30-second bursts in the microwave until the chocolate and coconut oil are melted. Whisk until smooth and set aside for an hour.
- Remove the ice cream and Oreo crust from the freezer. Carefully invert the pudding bowl over the crust and tug at the plastic wrap until the ice cream settles onto the crust. Remove the bowl and plastic wrap from the ice cream and freeze for an hour.
- If needed, heat the fudge sauce for 15-20 seconds or until it is just spreadable. Remove the dessert from the freezer and spoon ⅔ of the fudge topping over it, spreading evenly to cover.
- Freeze again for an hour or until the topping becomes firm.
- To serve, remove the Hula Pie from the freezer and cut into wedges. Serve each wedge with whipped cream, extra heated fudge sauce and reserved chopped macadamia nuts.
Take your Radio, Podcasts and Music with you