- Publish Date
- Tuesday, 31 October 2023, 7:00PM
One of our favourite things about the holidays — besides the time with family and friends — is brandy snaps!
There's something so special about the sweet crunch of the gingery candy and the whipped cream oozing out the ends.
This Kiwi classic will make a stunning addition to your Christmas dessert.
For a modern twist, dip half the brandy snap in melted dark chocolate to accompany a chocolate mousse.
Prep time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 10 mins
50g unsalted butter
50g caster sugar
50g golden syrup
50g plain flour
1tsp ground ginger
1/2tsp lemon juice
You will need:
- 2 medium baking sheets lined with baking parchment
- Preheat the oven to 200 C.
- Place the butter, caster sugar and golden syrup in a small saucepan set over a low heat. Stir until the mixture has melted and is smooth - be careful not to allow it to boil.
- Remove the pan from the heat and allow it to cool slightly. When the mixture is tepid, add a pinch of salt with the flour, ground ginger, lemon juice and brandy. Stir well.
- Place teaspoonfuls of the mixture on the baking sheet, allowing plenty of space for them to spread, ensure that you do not put more than 6 teaspoonfuls on each tray. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Leave the brandy snaps to cool on the baking sheets for about 30 seconds, then roll them round the handle of a clean wooden spoon while they are still hot. Make sure you work quickly, as they are only malleable when warm.
- If they become too cool and brittle, just pop the baking sheets back in the oven for a few seconds.
Take your Radio, Podcasts and Music with you