- Publish Date
- Saturday, 18 February 2023, 10:48AM
Apple pie is truly one of the most Feel Good desserts of all time!
Made with Paneton Flaky Puff Pastry and mixed spices, not only is this the most delicious pie but it also has a fabulous aroma.
15-20g butter, softened
1kg cooking apples (4 large apples), peeled, cut into quarters, cored and sliced
1 cup caster sugar
1 ½ tablespoons cornflour
½ - 1 teaspoon ground mixed spice
2 strips of lightly peeled lemon rind and juice of 1 small lemon
500g Paneton Flaky Puff Pastry, ready rolled sheet, defrosted
Milk for brushing pastry
Icing sugar for dusting, optional
- Heat the oven to 200°C. Brush a 20cm x 6cm deep round cake tin with the butter and sit in a shallow baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Put the apples, sugar, cornflour, mixed spice, lemon rind and juice in a bowl and mix together.
- Cut the ready-rolled pastry into two pieces - two-thirds and one-third. Roll two-thirds piece a little larger and use to line the tin, allowing a little pastry to hang over the edge.
- Layer in the apples and spoon over the collected juices. Brush the pastry edge with a little milk.
- Roll the remaining one-third piece a little larger. Pick up using the rolling pin and invert on top. Press the pastry edges together then trim away excess pastry. Press pastry again and fold pastry over to seal and make a neat rim or alternatively, press with a fork to seal.
- Brush the top with more milk (and if wished, sprinkle with extra sugar). Use a small, sharp knife to cut 3-4 slits in the top for steam to escape.
- Put in the oven and bake for 30 minutes. Check pie is not browning too quickly after 20 minutes and if so, cover loosely with compostable foil. Lower the oven temperature to 170°C and bake for a further 35-40 minutes. The pastry should be well browned.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool enough so you can remove from the tin.
- Serve warm dusted with icing sugar, if wished and ice cream.
Take your Radio, Podcasts and Music with you