Woman shares warning after her Kmart Christmas lights explode

Publish Date
Thursday, 19 December 2019, 11:05AM

One woman is warning other Kmart customers to be careful after her Anko brand solar-powered LED multi-coloured string lights from Kmart exploded in the sun.

Posting a photo of the aftermath on Facebook, the customer said she was relieved nobody was hurt by the explosion.

She also thanked her quick-thinking neighbours, who extinguished embers before her dry grass was set alight.

"Thank God for neighbours or things could have been a lot worse," she said.

"Solar panel on Xmas lights exploded. Bought them from Kmart approx (sic) 3 weeks ago.

"Will be notifying the store I brought them from tomorrow."


Photo / Facebook

According to information on the retailer's site, the lights - which sell for $34 for a pack of 500 - are suitable for outdoor use.

"Set the mood for the Christmas season with our festive LED string lights that will look stunning in your backyard!" reads a product statement.

READ MORE:
• Shoppers left shocked after Kmart releases accidental x-rated dog's toy
• Pet owners call for Kmart to ban $5 dog toy after multiple dogs required surgery from playing with it

A statement issued by Kmart said the retailer had reached out to the customer to offer support as part of a commitment to ensuring all product are "fully compliant with regulations and safety standards."

"At Kmart Australia safety is our number one priority and we are committed to ensuring the products we sell are fully compliant with regulations and safety standards," the spokesperson told news.com.au.

"We have reached out to the customer to offer support and conduct a review of their case."

All customers who had issues with any Kmart products were urged to contact the company's customer service team by phone or via its website.